DAY 1: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-1
Dinesh, who graduated (of, from) the University of Pune two years ago, is now doing graduate work (in, on) engineering (at, to) Galaxy Tech. He expects to receive his Master’s degree (by, in) next June. After that, he plans to accept a job (as, like) a technician (by, with) an oil company (in, at) Bangalore.
DAY 2: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-2
Ajay was walking (across, over) the campus (in, at) noon when he met a friend whom he had not seen (since, during) summer. They stopped (in front of, around) the gymnasium and sat down (in, on) the steps. After they had talked (for, during) about ten minutes, Ajay said, “I must go (toward, to) Global Academy this semester. Why don’t you drop by some afternoon (over, after) classes?”
DAY 3: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-3
Mr. George arrived in New York (on, in) May 10 (at, on) eight o’clock (in, on) the evening. He decided to call on his uncle who lived (on, in) Fifth Avenue. He got on a bus (at, of) the station and put his fare (on, into) the farebox. The bus was very crowded, so Mr. George had to stand up all the way. When he reached 85th Street, Mr. George got off the bus and walked a short distance (in, to) the apartment building (in, of) which his uncle lived. He knocked (at, in) the door (of, on) his uncle’s apartment. He waited (for, during) a few minutes, but no one came (to, at) the door. He was disappointed to find no one (to, at) home. He didn’t know where to go because his uncle had promised to reserve a room for him (at, by) a downtown hotel. He saw a bench (at, to) the end of the hall, and he sat down (on, in) it to wait for his uncle.
DAY 4: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-4
1. Do you live (at, on) Bay Street (in, on) Newport?
2. I hung the picture (above, on) the fireplace.
3. She walked (in, into) the kitchen and put her packages (on, over) the table.
4. Is Jane (at, in) home? No, she is (on, at) the library.
5. Mary is sitting (in, on) the sofa (at, in) the living room.
6. Michigan is situated (in, between) Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.
7. While waiting for my train, I took a walk (around, across) the station.
8. A formation of twelve airplanes flew (over, on top of) our house.
9. The artist spends many hours (in, on) his studio (on, at) 50 Charles Street.
10. John found a note pinned (in, on) his door which said: “Meet me (at, in) the corner of Pine and Fifth Streets.”
DAY 5: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-5
1. The Blake family lives (at, on) Third Street (in, on) Cleveland, Ohio.
2. Don’t forget to put your return address (in, on) the envelope.
3. He sat (near, against) the camp fire.
4. Mr. Flanagan, who is (from, of) Ireland, is staying (at, to) his sister’s home in Boston.
5. Someone has spilled ink (in, on) this rug and has burned a hole (in, on) that one.
6. The door was locked; so I shoved the letter (under, around) the door.
7. He piled the books (above, on top of) the table.
8. He arrived (in, at) Switzerland last week.
9. You are ahead of me. Your name is (above, at the top of) the list.
10. Your score on the examination is well (above, over) average.
DAY 6: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-6
1. Does the movie begin (at, on) 6:30? No, it will not begin (until, for) 9:00; so do not arrive (before, by) that time.
2. He asked me to come (at, in) noon.
3. We will go to Florida (since, during) the month of January.
4. The stores stay open (on, in) Mondays (until, for) 9:00p.m.
5. Mary has been in the United States (for, during) a year.
6. John has lived in France (for, since) two years.
7. I read (for, during) three hours, (at, from) 9:00p.m. (until, by) 12:00.
8. Did you meet Mr. Green (at, during) your stay in Savannah?
9. No, I did not see him because I was there (for, during) only two hours.
10. The train is (on, in) time. It will arrive (in, by) three hours.
DAY 7: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-7
1. Is your birthday (in, on) April? Mine is (in, on) April 7.
2. Come (by, on) 8:00 if you can; no one will be seated at the theater (after, since) 8:30.
3. I try to get to school (in, on) time to have a cup of coffee before my first class.
4. He will leave for Thailand (at, in) the end of August. There will be a farewell party for him (in, on) the twentieth of August.
5. Columbus discovered America (in, on) 1492.
6. The projector broke down twice (for, during) the showing of the film.
7. He had been waiting here (during, since) noon.
8. I received my bill (to, in) the middle of the month.
9. Can you be ready (by, on) six o’clock?
10. We plan to finish this project (around, until) the first of the year.
DAY 8: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-8
1. We accept your kind invitation (by, with) pleasure.
2. I should like to read that book (by, of) Ernest Hemingway.
3. These oranges are sold (of, by) the dozen.
4. The door (of, at) the house is painted red.
5. He says he can communicate (by, of) mental telepathy.
6. Always sign important papers (by, in) ink.
7. Would you rather write (by, with) a pen or pencil?
8. Over one-third (of, in) the oranges are spoiled.
9. The first speech will be given (by, of) Mr. Steele.
10. Do you like to travel (by, in) bus?
DAY 9: PRACTICE ACTIVITY SET-9
1. He toured the country (in, by) a station wagon.
2. How would you like to go (by, with) us (by, in) our car?
3. This liquid smells (like, as) turpentine.
4. This cake is (for, to) lunch.
5. We always buy olive oil (of, by) the gallon.
6. The sound (of, by) rain lulls me to sleep.
7. It looks (like, as) a nice day.
8. It will take four yards (of, by) material to make this dress.
9. He always speaks (in, by) a loud voice.
10. Stanley took a temporary job (as, like) a chauffeur.